Friday, January 6, 2012

Classic Beef Roast with Herb-Shallot Sauce

As promised, the roast recipe mentioned in Day 1. Credit goes to the little tear off tag on the shinkwrap covering my roast. You can find their online version by clicking here, or follow along below. I've added my own notes in parenthesis.

Classic Beef Roast with Herb-Shallot Sauce
  • 1 beef roast, small end (4-6 lb)
  • 2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
  • 1 tablespoon(ish) garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon(ish) ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons(ish) finely chopped green onion
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard (look for a kind without added sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon butter , softened

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.
  2. Add dried thyme, garlic powder, and pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine seasonings, then press the mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast.
  3. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer (I use this one from Amazon and love it. It's one of my favourite kitchen gadgets: The Original Cooking Thermometer/Timer by ThermoWorks) so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F oven 1-3/4 to 2 hours for medium rare; 2 to 2-1/2 hours for medium doneness.
  4. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium (The standing period allows the juice of the meat to be re-absorbed; it really makes a difference).
  5. Meanwhile, skim fat from drippings. Combine drippings and shallot in medium saucepan (I had to add a splash of water, because my drippings were mainly solid and had to be scraped from my roasting pan). Cook and stir over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are crisp-tender.
  6. Stir in wine and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 3/4 cup. Stir in butter. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
  7. Carve roast into slices. Serve with sauce.

Yum.

Personal notes
I don't have a "real" roasting pan. Instead, I used the pan from my toaster oven that came with a hole-filled "suspension tray" (I don't have a better name for it, sorry). I lined the pan with parchment paper to catch the drippings, then placed the suspension tray on top as normal. The parchment paper made step #5 much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment