Sunday, January 8, 2012

Day 3

More "social" eating. It'll be interesting to see if I can still keto-adapt eating sugary beef jerky. Hopefully I can buy a dehydrator in a few months and start making my own.

Breakfast
4 slices of mess-free bacon, dipped in the grease.
I saved the grease for later (see lunch)

Lunch
"Steaks" with leftover bacon grease smeared on top (it was semi-solid from refrigeration).
Last night, I took a bottom round roast and cut it into several steak-shaped pieces, then pan-fried them. It made about 9 delicious, juicy, perfectly medium-rare, hand-sized servings. The "steaks" reheat really well too: start with them in a foil-lined toaster oven pan, put them in a cold toaster oven, and turn that on to 350-F for about 8 minutes. Delish and very quick. You can increase your fat content (a good thing) by putting a pat of butter or leftover cooking grease (refrigerated) on top of the "steak" before heating. That allows the fat to slowly soak into the meat. I also had made a red wine reduction sauce with the blackened pieces left in the pan-frying pan, and drizzled that over the steaks before reheating to keep them from drying out.

Dinner
Went out to dinner with friends.
Wings
Beer (completely not "allowed," but delicious)

Midnight snack
A package of "Teriyaki Beef Steak Nuggets." Basically, the same thing as yesterday. Why did I let myself get talked into trying jerky? Hah. =P

Drinks
Selzter water (ingredients: carbonated water)
Café creme
Killian's Irish Red
"Long Island" [a shot made by friend, not a Long Island Iced Tea]

Energy level
High. To play the doubting game, this could be normal 21-year-old energy with Remicade working. I feel........ different, though -- more energetic and less "foggy-minded." Kind of weird, but awesome.

Cravings
The homemade chocolate chip cookies that were still at my friends' apartment. It's weird how easily I can ignore the cravings, though. It's more like a "hm, those sound good, but I have beef jerky at home that sounds better."
That thought came from a previously proud chocolate lover and carb addict. Weird. I'm really starting to love this new way of eating.

Overview/Crohn's symptoms
I woke up in the middle of the night with cramps -- probably the sugar in the beer/shots I drank. They passed as soon as I relieved myself, though, and then I was back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment