Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 5

Half decent, half bad day (see "symptoms" for the why). The energy I've had so far on animal-products-only is so addicting that even mediocre days like today .stink.

I applied for membership to a "zero carb" forum (http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/index.php) that I've been lurking at for a while. Reading that more people than PFW (the blogger mentioned in the intro post) were also thriving on just meat -- and thriving long term without organ meat -- was the last kick in the rear I needed. Unfortunately, they require you to be zero carb before admission, not still getting there (beer, wine sauce with day 2 roast, etc. makes me not zero carb yet). So I'll wait two weeks and reapply when I am. =)

Breakfast
Sugar free!!!!! bacon, dipped in grease (yeah, it'll take me a while to stop being excited about sugarless bacon)
~2oz heavy cream

Lunch
I .passed. .out. after I got home from class today, so I skipped lunch.

Dinner
My faux "steak."

Midnight snack (study break!)
Last of my "steak." If you had told me just a month ago that I would put down a 4-lb roast in 2 days, I would've laughed.

Drinks
3, about 2oz servings of heavy cream.
Water
Selzter water (ingredients: carbonated water)
Café creme (my last one -- see "symptoms" below) Update 1.13.11: If I double the amount of cream (basically cutting the strength in half), I can still drink them.

Energy level
Blah. See "symptoms" below.

Cravings
A funny thing happened today -- something that makes me believe this way of eating is honestly much healthier than a carb-filled "organic" way of eating. I woke up hungry this morning, and drank some heavy cream to give my body something while I cooked bacon + took a shower (I make my bacon in the oven). When I got out of the shower, I passed some leftover truffles on my way to the oven. For a split second, the thought of eating them crossed my mind.... then I shrugged and walked to my bacon. That reaction -- or lack of one -- is from a self-proclaimed chocolate lover and sweet addict. Apparently in just 5 days, my body has retrained itself to recognise sugar = bad.
Weird. Also, awesome.

Overview/Crohn's symptoms
I think the coffee needs to go. Caffeine has never been a "need;" I simply like the taste of coffee. If I run out, I don't get grumpy or have headaches. It does give me a little jump in the morning, but not to the point I'm groaning "ughIneedcoffeenow" each a.m. like friends/family.
Anyway. All day, I felt fine. Like I mentioned, I passed out after class and had a wonderful nap. Woke up, studied for the MCAT for 2 hours, and decided a café creme would go well with the mitosis/meiosis section. Fine.
A third of the way through my drink, my stomach started to hurt. Badly. Gah. The rest of the evening was a joyful reminder of Crohn's disease and why I'm doing this diet.
Lesson? No more coffee for me, at least not for several months as my body heals itself. Even after several months, not as much/strong as what I've been making.
(sigh. i'll miss you, pressure-brewed perfect-temperature coffee.)

No comments:

Post a Comment