Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 1

Day 1:
I chose today to start because it was Remicade infusion day. I effing love Remicade – so far it's the only medication that keeps my disease in check and therefore keeps me off Prednisone. Also, it rocks. The catch? Your body builds antibodies to the anti TNF-α over time, so eventually either you stop responding to it or you have horrible allergic reactions. The typical "life span" is 5 years, and I've been on it for 3. So.

But why start on infusion day? Well, I'm going to living on fat and protein, and my disease affects my fat-absorbing small intestine. Even though Remicade works miracles, it does wear off in between the 8-week infusions. I can usually feel the effects disappearing around week 4, and I'm in a mild flare by week 6. Starting a fat-based diet with an irritated small intestine didn't seem smart.

Anyway, the important stuff:

Breakfast
Skipped, because my stomach hurt. During my A.M. infusion, I sipped a double espresso from the amazing café at my infusion centre.

Lunch
About a 1.5" cube of extra-sharp Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese for a post-nap snack (the Benedryl I'm given before each infusion knocks me out).

Post-lunch
~3oz of Top Round roast, reheated in a toaster oven with slightly fatty au jus drizzled on top (recipe will be posted later).

Dinner


Drinks
Selzter water (ingredients: carbonated water)
Water
2 shots of espresso

Energy level
Typical for a Remicade day: wonderful. The three-and-a-half hour post-infusion nap probably didn't hurt either. ♥

Cravings
Strangely, none. I went with my boyfriend to Taco Bell and felt no desire for even a bean burrito with lots of hot sauce (my love). The thought of eating more roast when I got home was more appetizing.

Crohn's symptoms
Also typical for a Remicade day. I can feel the healing going on in my body as my immune system chills out. No noticeable side effects from eating lots of fat, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment